background2222

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Helllloooooooo!

Hi there
So this is my first post on my first ever blog! Now although this is MY first blog it isn't however, my first experience with blogging.  In April 2010 I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma which is cancer of the immune system.  My mom blogged my whole journey; I love being able to look back at that blog and think, "wow. I've come so far." or when I'm feeling down, "wow I'm such a badass." If you want to check it out here's the link; my mom is an amazing writer so let's hope I got that skill too! I lost and gained so much during that time and I regret not writing down my thoughts. I never want to get the chance to do that over though, I mean cancer sucks. So I guess that is why I'm starting my blog now...better late than never right? 
I'm a freshman in college 2,000 miles from home. I grew up in Carmichael, CA, a suburb of Sacramento,recently named the fifth most miserable city in the US, but Sac-town is the best city ever! I loved growing up there and I love knowing that I can always go back there. But right now I'm in Kentucky. Yes Kentucky and for those of you asking "why would you leave California and go to Kentucky?" I wanted something different.  I mean, when else in your life can you live somewhere completely different for four years and worry about nothing but school? I know that this blog will be my outlet when I'm feeling homesick or want to share my thoughts on college. 
The name of this blog is I Am Not My Hair.  It's a song actually. A song that I really like, clearly. When I finished treatment I was really self-conscious of the way I looked. I find it funny that it took me almost eight months to realize that I was actually bald but I guess I was too busy kicking cancer's butt to even worry about such a trivial thing as the way I look. My best friends heard this song on Kairos.  They couldn't wait to show me and make it my theme song. In the song India Arie sings that she is more than her hair more than her appearance and I think that everyone can relate to that. We are all more than the way we look,our GPAs, clothing,jobs,etc. I think that teenagers,and I guess everyone else too, can get so caught up in the materialistic and unimportant things that we forget, in a way, who we are and what life is really about.I'm trying to live out my life remembering that I am not my hair and I think that college is the hardest place to live that out but I've had my fair share of challenges and feel as if I'm ready for a new one!  Well that's a little about me and what I'm about. I'm excited to start blogging and I hope you enjoy reading! 

Here's the song: Check it out



2 comments: