background2222

Sunday, February 12, 2012

"Let's Raise Awareness!"

Ah! Greek sing. And no I'm not talking about Greeks singing. I'm talking about the dance competition between sororities and fraternities. The competition is a fundraiser for Make-A-Wish, and for those of you who don't know how Make-A-Wish works I'll try and fill you in. Most people think that only children who are dying get a wish, however any child who has a life threatening disease gets the chance to make a once in a lifetime wish.  Each wish is then presented to donors who somehow come up with the money to make the child's wish a reality.  I really can't explain Greek Sing. It reminded me a lot of Spirit Week at St. Francis, expect I'm not going to lie, nothing can ever top Spirit Week.  I mean yes it's a dance competition but we're talking about sororities and fraternities here.  The girls, of course, prepare months in advance and stress about every single detail.  Whereas the guys, well they are drunk for dances that they probably practiced three or four times.  Side note: After Greek Sing I'm convinced that I am supposed to be in a frat I mean they literally just went crazy on stage.  Who doesn't want to do that?
Now because this is a competition you can almost guarantee that most people lost sight of the real reason for this fundraiser.  It's funny how everyone can agree on the important things in life but when people get together we just completely forget about them. I know that I am guilty of this too but sometimes I found myself just sitting there thinking, is all this yelling worth it? I mean is this little girl going to be mad if our fists aren't together? Would her wish be any less special? I know, I know, we all want to look good but at the same time we want to have fun and help a girl's wish come true. Next year I challenge us all to remind ourselves each practice what it's all about, think back to that girl onstage bald as can be cracking jokes, next year let's do it, not for other sororities or judges, but for her and all the other Make-A-Wish kids.
The timing of Greek Sing seemed to be fitting.  Just as my wish was starting to become real the greek community was helping another girl's wish become a reality too.  Some of you know that I had the chance to make a wish two summers ago (woah it's crazy that it has already been two years).  I wished that I could go to the 2012 Summer Olympics.  I love London and sports; what could be better?  My Make-A-Wish coordinator called my family in January to let us know how the planning was going.  It turns out Make-A-Wish would be paying for my whole family (5 people!) to go to the Olympics.  A couple of thoughts: 1. That's a ton of money and I'm so grateful 2. My family was my biggest support system throughout my journey and they, like other Make-A-Wish families, deserve a wish as much as I do.  Here's the catch, I would be going to London July 28th-August 5th.  I'm 99% sure I'm supposed to be in Kentucky on August 4th.  Ya, ya I know it's the Olympics but for those of you who don't know me well, or anyone who isn't my mom, I stress out if I'm not on time.  I know that the whole time I would be stressing about packing, driving to Kentucky, and then unpacking everything all in time for Recruitment to begin. So I voiced my concerns to my mom; she understood where I'm coming from and, of course, she calls my coordinator and tells her my dilemma.  I suggested giving my wish money to another chid or even to the kids of a family we know who's mom has cancer but my coordinator said that there was no need to feel guilty and that she would help me through the whole process.
So now where do I stand? I'm unsure.  To go or not to go?  I can potentially make another wish but if you could wish for anything in the world what would you wish for?


Song of the week: 

No comments:

Post a Comment